Pages

Nuffnang

Friday, December 16, 2005

Long overdue project

Few weeks ago, I stumbled upon my long overdue project in the store room.

Know what is this?



Hehe… It was my first attempt to make soap from scratch. It’s been almost a year ago. After finishing them, I just left it there to age. Little did I know that a short period of age turned out to be a year? This is best described with the Malay proverb “Hangat hangat tahi ayam”. *Embarrassed smile*

I was very excited over this project. It took me quite a while to get the one very important element for the soap saponification process. That’s Sodium Hydroxide.

Earlier on when I was working in KL, I used to frequent KLCC’s Kinokuniya for soap making book. After reading them for a while, I started experiment it. After a long period of searching, thanks to Ah-li my friend, who directed me to the right person who is working along this soap making line; she gave me some sodium sample, of coz it’s the diluted version, I had to play around with the water amount. It’s not easy to come by this sodium coz one needs to apply for a license from Ministry of Health in order to use it.

I started with a basic three oil soap.

Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Shortening
Sodium Hydroxide.

It was very fun seeing it forming harder and harder becoming soap. I didn’t add in enough fragrant for this batch as it was my first attempt. It turns out to smell like “ah-ne-ne” soap. Hahaha!



This is how the final soap looked like after packaging.

11 comments:

mom2ashley said...

they look very nice! good as gifts!

Poulotte said...

it is very pretty and looks professionally done. and yes, i again have the privi to look at them in real.

but i must agree it smells like stale oil. perhaps could be you kept it too long ago?

add lotsa fragrance and it can be air freshener. very nice.

Jesslyn said...

u hv interest in making soap? Good, can DIY & give away as present too!

Sue said...

The finished product looks very nice :)

A-Li said...

we actually did some experiment in school making soap ...if i can recall .....errr...u r in 'perdagangan' hor?! :P I recalled the colour is the same as i can match that colour with my neighbour's (ah-ne-ne) laundry soap! sudah lama, now people use laundry powder liao!

Zara's Mama said...

Wow, you also quite artistic/creative woh... I like the final packaging..

very good christmas present!

Allyfeel said...

Hello everybody, Thank you, I think it makes a nice gift only it smell nice. Unfortunately, it didn't. But I will give it a try again in the near future. This time round, I will put in more fragrant and perhaps some color and texture. :)

jazzmint said...

wah nice leh with the packaging..maybe need to add some *hiong sui* to make it more fragrant and cover the aneh smell hehe..I was oso interested.but look only, cause the ingredients looks like whoa...where the heck gonna find in KL :p

Allyfeel said...

Jazzmint, yalor...lotsa "hiong sui". Actually the only problem is the sodium, the rest can get easily from super market or bakery shop.

For a hobby is ok la...but thinking of selling it, no way. Look at Jaya jusco, whenever there is sales, the candle and soap is the one that have 70% reduction. Sad!

domesticgoddess said...

I guess you can consult earthtone (maria's sis) on how to get rid of the a-neh-neh smell. She's a soap making expert.

Allyfeel said...

domesticgoddess,

Thanks for the advice.I will if I have the opportunity. Now she is so busy with her baby, don't want to disturb la.

I guess I just have to pour in more fragrant to make it smell good. GUess I was too stingy...hehe! :)